To put it simply, if laptops were cars then the Panasonic Toughbook would be a Sherman tank. Standard model laptops and tablets are miracles of technology but they aren’t exactly durable. Some can be broken from a one foot fall onto carpet, while others can be killed by a really humid day. It all depends on the maker and how much thought they put into protecting their devices from environmental hazards.
Panasonic ToughBooks have been designed to withstand the harshest conditions imaginable for an electronic device and they are not put onto the market until they have been thoroughly tested.
Some of the tests they have to pass are:
- Drop and Shock Resistance – One of the most common causes of hardware failure is a shock caused by a drop. Displays and hard drives are especially sensitive to sudden shocks. So, to be called a ToughBook Mobile Computer, it has to survive a one foot drop 26 times onto its edge, face and corners. Some of the higher end ToughBooks has even survived 78 drops from between 4 and six feet.
- Liquid Resistance – ToughBooks need to survive spills as well as heavy rain. The fully rugged versions are left operating for thirty minutes with the ports closed, in a heavy simulated downpour with seventy mile an hour winds.
- Vibration Resistance – When used in shops and factories, computers often encounter intense vibration. The Panasonic tests go well beyond industry standards by subjecting the hard drive to constant vibration while it is being accessed.
- Pressure Resistance – This test ensures the case can stand up to three hundred pounds of pressure across its surface.
- Humidity Resistance – Humidity may take longer to affect a system but it can be just as destructive as spilled liquid. This test ensures it can withstand humidity over time.
- Temperature Resistance – The ToughBooks are tested in both their operational and dormant states. While the device is running it is tested at both 140F and -20F. The extremes are even more drastic when the device is turned off.
If this sounds like something you need for your job site browse our catalog and find the perfect Toughbook for your business needs.